top of page

How to Apply the 80/20 Rule of Health Without Overwhelming Yourself

In the quest for good health, we often come across various rules and guidelines that claim to hold the key to optimal well-being. One such rule that has gained significant popularity in recent years is the 80/20 rule of health. The concept behind this rule is simple: if you make healthy choices 80% of the time, you can afford to indulge or deviate from your routine the remaining 20% of the time. It's all about finding balance and allowing yourself some flexibility in your journey towards a healthier lifestyle. Balance is what my approach is all about, so I do like this rule as a general guideline.

However, as we navigate through life's challenges and fluctuations, it's important to recognize that the 80/20 rule may not always be feasible or realistic. There are times when circumstances can make it difficult to maintain such a strict ratio. It's during these moments that it's crucial to be gentle with ourselves and understand that sometimes, it's perfectly okay to shift the balance to 70/30, 50/50, or even lower.

Life is unpredictable, and unexpected events can throw us off track. Whether it's an illness, a busy period at work, or personal commitments that demand our attention, there will be instances where maintaining the 80/20 rule might feel overwhelming or unattainable. During these times, being kind to ourselves and adjusting our expectations is essential for maintaining our mental and emotional well-being.

Adopting a flexible mindset allows us to navigate these challenges with grace. It means understanding that health is a journey, not a destination, and that setbacks are a natural part of the process. Instead of beating ourselves up over not adhering strictly to the 80/20 rule, we can focus on finding a balance that works for us in the given circumstances.

For example, during a particularly busy week, it might be more realistic to aim for a 70/30 balance. This could involve making healthier choices for the majority of our meals while allowing ourselves a few indulgences or shortcuts to ensure we don't feel overwhelmed or deprived. Similarly, during periods of illness or stress, a 50/50 split might be more appropriate, placing a greater emphasis on self-care and prioritizing our well-being over strict adherence to dietary or exercise routines.

Ultimately, the goal is to establish a sustainable and flexible approach to health that acknowledges our individual needs and allows us to adapt as life unfolds. The 80/20 rule is a helpful guideline, but it's important to remember that it's not set in stone. I do like it as a guideline but understand that every day can be different, and we need to be kind and gentle with ourselves. The goal is not perfection but making those consistent small changes that add up, some days may be 90/10 and others 50/50.

Wishing you health and happiness!

2 views0 comments


bottom of page